Saturday, July 27, 2013

Doctors, Vacations, and Unemployment... oh my!

Hi everyone!

Sorry it's been awhile. I want you to know I really appreciate all your snacking advice last week and I've taken it to heart and am putting a lot of it into practice!!!  This week is more of a general update than my usual witty repartee.  But you'll want to read to the end (or skip to it if you're bored) as there's a monster at the end of this book. (Sorry... Sesame Street reference was irresistible!)

We had a chance to escape before school started and we went for it!!! A weekend with friends in Illinois (Thanks Mom and Dad for the free baby and dog sitting!) where we got to do a LOT for a very little was much needed, and we had an amazing time with the Barons and Wiemers.  It's so much fun when you can hang out with couples you are very different from and a lot alike at the same time!  It makes for good conversation and easy going relaxation.

Then it was off to stay with Holly for a few days before she starts her junior year.  This is probably the last chance we will have to see her until possibly fall break or Christmas:(  So we planned a sneak attack!  She had NO idea we were coming so when we woke her up and she saw Ellie she freaked out and it was awesome.  Since they now live in Pensacola, Holly was able to help with an Ellie first, and we took her to the beach!  It was GREAT!!!

I set us a budget before we left and we did REALLY well.  Only three meals out the entire week we were gone and one was paid for by the cabin owner we rented from on our wine trail weekend.  We were super cheap.  I may never vacation carelessly again.  Mark losing his job has showed me exactly how much money we waste. We've done VERY well on a tight budget this summer and thanks to some help from some friends we have survived with no unemployment.  Not because Mark didn't apply by the way...But because our fantastic government is SO FREAKIN SLOW!!!!!  6 weeks and still no check, even though Mark has faithfully certified every week that he has no job.  ARGH!! If they don't come across soon, August will be a Ramen noodles and cancel the cable kind of month but I think we can make it.  Do you notice they never fail to pay themselves, but people can lose their homes and not eat waiting for assistance!  It's maddening!!! Don't you agree?

And last but not least, getting healthy:  Well, vacation was a disaster!!! Whataburger is the devil and was one of our meals out.  Bad, bad, very bad epic fail!!! There may also have been some puppy chow and m&m's consumed on the wine trail.  All in moderation but nonetheless... not good!  I saw Dr. Vanderveen this week and he was pleased with my blood work and in spite of vacation, was also surprised there wasn't more weight loss.  When I admitted that exercise and I still weren't close personal friends, we talked about why since I used to love it.  For those of you that don't know, I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back.  When I'm uncomfortable, I don't want to work out.  In fact I hate it.  And when my back bothers me, I don't sleep.  Solutions: I start physical therapy for my back on Monday.  He feels we can get it under control and I'll enjoy being more active because I won't be afraid of the ouch.  Solution 2: Gotta get moving! I know how to fix my eating, and other than speed bumps on vacation, that's going well.  Snacking has been helped by peppermints and we are beginning to eliminate the crap from the house, we avoided buying new crap today (step away from the carbs), and as soon as payday hits I'll be stocking up on carrots and yogurt (crunch and sweet).  I am going to attempt to get a fitness club going at work to keep me motivated and if that doesn't work... back to Curves I shall go!

And last but not least in the news front.... How will we survive beyond August?  Easy: MARK GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!! He was offered several but accepted the position that would allow us the most time together as a family.  It will be a pay adjustment but we can do it!!! He will be the Media Assistant and Assistant Football Coach at... wait for it... Kenwood High School.  Translation for my fellow Knights - He's the new Huff!  Woot!!! We are THRILLED!!!!

So that's all for now friends.  I'll let you know in a few days how the physical therapy is going!  Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment